The goal of this session is to prepare learners to screen, diagnose and manage persons infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, the virus that causes COVID-19, including among people with HIV. In ad-dition, the session will introduce public health strate-gies to contain and mitigate spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. The session will highlight the importance of team-based approaches to both clinical and public health management.
By the end of the module, the learner will be able to:
1. Identify the clinical characteristics of COVID-19 infection as well as risk factors for acquisition, including among people with HIV (PWH)
2. Discuss the recommendations for screening in each country, as well as diagnostic algorithms
3. Recognize the importance of infection prevention and control (IPC) for health care workers, includ-ing the role of different infection control strategies to minimize nosocomial transmission
4. Explain the principles of clinical management of COVID-19, including the importance of supportive care and other treatments.
5. Discuss the importance of public health strate-gies, including containment, mitigation, and vaccination in curtailing COVID-19 spread
6. Reflect on strategies to improve interprofessional care of patients and support each other as team members during the COVID-19 pandemic